Monday, April 20, 2015

Gifts are for giving.

I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catchers mitt on both hands. You need to be able to throw something back. - Maya Angelou

This weekend Bryce Davis played the piano accompaniment for Waukee High School's spring play "High School Musical". This is only one of Bryce's many musical accomplishments (he is SO talented!!) 

But this one holds a special place in my heart. You see, I taught Bryce how to play piano. Or better said, I guided the opening of his gift.

I remember the conversation I had with his mom, Chris, a few years ago. Bryce really wanted to learn piano, but at the time there wasn't the extra resources available to pay me. Chris was undergoing cancer treatment at the time and the medical bills were piling up. 

Of course I said yes. It was a privilege to be asked.

Time flew during my lesson times with Bryce. We'd spend 45 minutes to an hour together and it was some of the most fun I've had with a student. He would play written music and by ear; and began putting together beautiful sounds on his own with his evident musical talent. In a matter of months, he was ready to go beyond my guidance.

Bryce continued playing. He spent hours in the practice room after school. A teacher noticed, and the doors began to open. I am sure they will continue to. 

In his words... "I am very glad that you taught me so much and helped me find my passion for playing piano. I enjoy it so much." 

Today I am reminded that every gift I have is best used when it's given freely. So many times we don't think what we have is valuable enough to share; but here I am to say, Look at Bryce - YES IT IS. 

Living your best life is one that gives back. Little or big, doesn't really matter. Give. You never know who it will make all the difference for. And what it does inside you when you get to see it will change you forever. 

Here's to Bryce and his bright future and to the ones he, in turn, will give to.







No comments:

Post a Comment