Sunday, July 29, 2018

What the Young Teach Us

Last week I helped lead a Project Timothy Leadership Bootcamp for young people. A gathering of 105 youth who are committed to their faith and growing in relationship with the Lord and each other so they might fulfill their purposes for this generation. It was a privilege to participate in worship, conversations, and prayer that touched deep places in our lives. It was holy and beautiful community.

A few things they taught me:

Show Up. There’s something special about the spontaneity of young people. They are unreserved, unabashed, and free-spirited. And they love to be in on the action. I, too, want to show up without reservations and whole-hearted.

Live in Unity. I saw youth from all over the country coming together as a family. You didn’t have to dress or act a certain way to be welcomed in. It was enough that you were there and you are accepted for who you. In fact, our differences are part of the joy of being together. I, too, want to live in unity and experience each person’s uniqueness as the gift it is.

Pray Always. Day and night, in vans and lawns, on couches and floors, during worship, small groups, and workshops, it’s always a good time to pray. Through sin and repentance, anger and forgiveness, fears and joy, it’s always a good time to pray. They listened and cried out, they encouraged and shared hope. I, too, want to lean on the Lord and bring all things to him in prayer.

“Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all.” Mark 10:15

May all these things prepare my heart to be a little more childlike that I may receive and walk in the kingdom of God in fullness.

No comments:

Post a Comment