Friday, December 19, 2014

Let the Bird Fly

The older I get, the more uncomfortable I am with captured & penned animals. I remember walking through a zoo about five years ago and really struggling with it. I am not sure what increased my awareness and sensitivity that day, but it's never gone away. Couldn't shake the thought that there's got to be more to their lives than this... 

And the same thought struck me recently about my own life. For whatever reasons, I felt like a caged bird on the inside. And I just wanted to swing open the door and fly. 


Why was there a cage? I think it was my way of organizing my life in such a way that everything could be well under control, predictable, safe, and successful. I wanted to build my own world and live there. 


However, the very things I thought would make me happy and secure, didn't. They became the cage that trapped me. The life I desired was domesticating me and robbing me of the adventure I was created for. 


I began to imagine life on the outside of the cage. Free to fly. Free to sing. Free to catch a breeze and soar. Free to nest in a great big oak. Clearly, this is living at its best for me.


As you pursue your life vision, be careful to build a nest, not a cage. It is easy to get caught up in designing and assembling a perfect life script, which becomes a trap rather than a launching pad. The alternative is the freedom to pursue new places, see new things, and be all that you were created to be.  


Living in sync is about self confidence, opportunities to grow, moments to share, and permission to live your life without self-restrictions. Let the bird fly. 





No comments:

Post a Comment