Monday, May 25, 2015

The Greater Cause and the Daily March

The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well. Ralph Waldo Emerson

On this Memorial Day, I want to remember the men and women who have served our country. Whether it was a short enlistment or life time calling. Whether it was working behind the scenes or on the front lines. As I've heard said, "all gave some and some gave all". 

To truly honor their lives and sacrifice; I am compelled to consider my own calling and mission. Am I living for a greater cause than my own personal happiness? Am I a person who is useful, honorable, compassionate, and making a difference? Am I willing to sacrifice for it to be so?

Our best lives, we come to find out, have very little to do with ourselves and more to do with others. What we have is God's gift to us and what we do with it is our gift to Him. 

For the service person, it is a matter of embracing two things - the greater cause and the daily march. For us to live well, it is the same. 

Today, I encourage you to take the time to consider a greater cause... 
- where do you long to see change in the world?
- what issues put you on a 'soapbox'?
- when are you the most easily moved to tears or anger? 
- what do you read and study the most about? 

And the daily march...
- who and what is right in front of me?
- how will I sacrifice and adjust my schedule to reflect my values?
- where can I take action? 
- what will I commit to doing regardless of how I feel? 

"May you all continue the journey ~ the daily march ~ with your spirits strengthened by the grace of the Lord Jesus, the Anointed One." Phil.4:23

Here's to living in sync with your best life ever... one that is much bigger than you. 

Happy Memorial Day! 


No comments:

Post a Comment