Thursday, August 2, 2012

Look for the bright spots


Earlier this week, my daughter and I spent a couple of days away with our friends. We went to Mahoney State Park in Ashland, NE for some relaxation and fun. With the 100 degree temperatures, we spent our first day enjoying the aquatic center.  Day #2 we did some early morning swimming at the hotel, hiked a bit, and then looked around for our best options for the rest of our day.... INDOORS. :)

My friend & I discovered a craft center and for our girls ages 9 & 11, this was like heaven! After much discussion and after checking out what seemed like every possible option... my daughter finally pointed her finger at a fish container declaring 'it was the one'.  

Surprisingly, as we sat down, my high-energy daughter began to focus on the details of the scales, painting each one a different bright color. As she settled into what would turn into a two hour painting project, I watched her transform into the most peaceful and relaxed child. Nothing else mattered, as all our attention watched the beautiful piece of art unfold.

As I look at this fish now, I see so much. The transcendence of peace. The silver threads of hope. The bright colors of laughter. And the love of shared family time.

Today I remind you that you are at your best and living in sync when you stop and enjoy the life you are given.

Be thankful. Count your blessings. And look for the bright spots everyday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment