Monday, February 23, 2015

Giving of Yourself

The Eternal’s purposes will last to the end of time; the thoughts of His heart will awaken and stir all generations. Psalm 33:11

My church observes the Lenten season each year with what is called a Leap of Faith. Although unique, it does hold to some of the traditional aspects of Lent, including fasting. It is suggested that we prayerfully consider what we might remove from our lives in order to make space for more of Jesus and His purposes in our lives. 

Each year, I pray and ask God to help me see what to fast. In the past, I've fasted food in a variety of ways, worry, and sleep. This year, I couldn't seem to get clear direction on what to fast. Nothing in specific was standing out to me, so for this first week I've abstained from a few natural pleasures and distractions and intentionally spent a few extra minutes each day to build my relationship with the Lord. 

Today, I happened to come across Pope Francis' message for Lent. What stood out to me was his concern about the condition of our hearts being thoughtless and cold, giving way to what he calls a "globalization of indifference". He reminded me of the purpose in Lent & making space in our hearts for Jesus, which is TO BE LIKE JESUS and give ourselves to the people around us. 

As Pope Francis puts it well, "He knows us by name, he cares for us and he seeks us out whenever we turn away from him. He is interested in each of us; his love does not allow him to be indifferent to what happens to us."  Yes, that is who Jesus is. But what about me? Am I following Him and loving others as He does?

I think the point of Lent & fasting is not to focus on what you are removing from your life; but rather what you are giving yourself to. And then it all makes sense in my mind. Several weeks ago, I had felt a call in my heart to become more involved with refugees in our neighborhood so I volunteered to help with tutoring. 

While it's a small step in loving as He does, it's an intentional one. 

Rather than asking you what you are fasting this Lenten season, I'm curious to know what you are giving. Feel free to write & let me know. I'm for you. 




No comments:

Post a Comment