Monday, June 22, 2015

A Happy Ending


But for all who did receive and trust in Him, He gave them the right to be reborn as children of God. John 1:12

My dad passed on to heaven over the weekend. While he had his share of illness and physical challenges, his death came suddenly after a day spent at an auction and then gardening in his yard. I am sad he is gone; yet comforted that he went quickly, enjoying life until his last breath. 

Dad battled depression and was an alcoholic most of his life until a massive stroke in 2007. Childhood for me was a mixed bag of good and bad times as the cycle of addiction seemed to be the chaotic rhythm of our family. 

A little over 10 years ago, after a long period of disconnection, my dad started reaching out to me. He wanted to talk and to meet my daughter, his granddaughter. To say I was hesitant would be an understatement. I had been really hurt by him and his choice to walk out on the family. I didn't have any desire to have a relationship with him. But in my heart as I talked to God about it, I sensed him telling me that as my father was taking a step towards me in relationship, I needed to reciprocate and take a step towards him.  

With tears running down my face, I drove to meet him. The first step which would lead to a series of steps in a remarkable story of redemption and a happy ending. 

Over time, we grew a relationship that I would have never ever imagined sharing. He asked me to forgive me for his wrongs, he blessed us in generous ways, and I heard those three words for the first time ever from him - I love you - followed with a hug. 

I am so proud of him. A stubborn old farmer who found the courage to make his last years his best years. 

Living your best life is never feeling too old or lost to make things right. It means choosing to let go of the past and embracing the present. It is living in sync with the greatest power known to us and given by Jesus Christ: redemption. 

Choose your happy ending today.  



No comments:

Post a Comment