Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Awakened

A couple of nights ago, Natalie and I took our dog Leia for her evening walk. This aspect of life is so routine, even Leia knows which streets to turn at. As we strolled along, Natalie and I enjoyed our time of simple banter mixed with the comfortable quiet you share with someone you know well. My thoughts drifted in and out as I relaxed into the cadence of each step.

“Is that the sound of a cricket?” asked Natalie breaking the silence.

As I awakened myself to hear what she was listening to, my ears were filled with a cacophony of nighttime sounds. It was a concert of what seemed to be a million insects, amphibians, and birds. I could not even pick out the sound of the cricket at first because nature’s ruckus was literally that loud.

Sharing that with Natalie, she noted, “Yeah. Isn’t it amazing we walked all this while and didn’t even hear it?”

Yes. And now we can’t hear anything else.

This reminds me of God and his love. His presence is this enormous hug of love all around us. His song of rejoicing deafeningly loud in the silence. It’s so amazing. And we often don’t hear it.

May we be awakened in His love today so that we can’t hear anything else.

For the Lord your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs. Zephaniah 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment