Monday, August 29, 2016

How wide. How near.

Trying to define God by our life experiences is like trying to fit the ocean into a thimble.*

I love the ocean. I love the sound, the smells, the saltiness, the currents, the whitecaps, the splashes, the squishy sand, the windy breezes. I love it in the morning as the sun rises over it and I love it in the evening as the moon glows on it. I love it all day long.

Most of all, I am captivated by the size of it. It stills my little heart every time I look at it. I suddenly realize how very small I am and how very large God is. All things are instantly in perspective as I allow it to absorb me.

He loves me this much.
Further than I can see to the right.
Further than I can see to the left.
Further than I can see over the horizon.
How wide? So wide, it knows no end.

He loves me this much.
Nearer than I can see to the right.
Nearer than I can see to the left.
Nearer than I can see on the horizon.
How near? So near, it knows no beginning.

Living our best lives is letting go of the thimble and throwing it into the ocean. It’s allowing our life experiences to be absorbed by a God of love. Suddenly we find the things we once held so dear are lost in the movements of his love. And suddenly we are found. Free. Playing in his love.

How wide. How near. 

*Loosely adapted from Eat this Book by Eugene Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment