Monday, August 15, 2016

The Sabbath

Enjoying a weekly Sabbath has been a process for me. At first I had to realize that it wasn't a reward you earned for finishing all your work for the week. The true gift of the Sabbath was stopping with the work yet undone and recognizing that the world is not going to end. Learning how to rest with a list of things calling out and demanding my attention was a spiritual discipline. It was a weekly lesson on surrender and trust. The universe and my life is held together by One other than myself.

Next, I had to learn what to do with a Sabbath. What are the things that truly bring rest and delight to me? How am I best replenished? Depending on the week, it can vary. With some experimentation I've found a few of my favorite's are: worshiping at church, going to the lake for a walk, eating dinner with family and friends, gardening, napping, playing piano, and reading. Listening to my underlying needs has made the Sabbath a real joy.

Recently, I read this quote and now I find myself stretched in my Sabbath practice again.... "The Sabbath is not just a break in the pattern of daily life but the whole meaning it." Margaret Silf

I think I have still viewed the Sabbath as the one day created to serve the other six days. You know, the days where we do the important stuff we call work. It's like the purpose of the Sabbath is determined by the work of the week. I think it's nice of God to give me a day off so I can work harder the rest of my week. 


What would happen if I saw the Sabbath as the most important day of my week and let the other six days find their meaning and purpose out of the one? What if this day set aside for enjoying a relationship with our Creator is the essence of life and not our work?

I am challenged. I think at the end of the day, I still identify a lot with my work and the little world I think I control in daily life.

I am also invited. To a new way of viewing the source of my life and identity. To understand what is really living and to let everything flow from this space called the Sabbath.

Living our best lives is freedom to live as children cared for by a Heavenly Father and to understand our destiny in his presence. The Sabbath is a gift that gives us both.

No comments:

Post a Comment