Monday, September 26, 2016

Keep Going

Today is a beautiful September day in Iowa. One where the wind rustles its song through the tree branches and makes the leaves dance on the sidewalk. As I took Leia for a run, I could certainly tell the streets where it blew behind me and the corners I would turn and hit the headwind. “Keep going”, I told myself.

The other thing you have to understand about running with Leia is the way she starts out. She acts exactly how I feel at the beginning of a run… like there’s concrete tied on the ankles and she can barely get the umph to go. So, I’m basically dragging this 50+ pound dog up hills and into the wind for the first 10-15 minutes. “Keep going”, I told myself.

Towards the middle of the run when we are both hitting a stride together, wouldn’t you know an ambulance and fire truck would be heading down the street our direction. Now it’s like fire under her little paws and this 50+ pound dog is d-r-a-g-g-i-n-g me down the sidewalk sprinting. It was hilarious. “Keep going,” I told myself.

There are chapters of life that are similar. And days just like this. One minute you have a nice tailwind and things feel smooth, and the next minute you hit a massive headwind and it’s really hard. One week everything is falling into stride and the next week you are being dragged here and there by 1000 pound problems.

A few tips to keep going…

  • Keep perspective. It won’t stay this hard forever. There will come another tail wind, just you wait and see.
  • Don’t stop. Rest, yes. But don’t put the brakes on or you won’t get through it.
  • Breathe. Often we are focusing so hard on conquering that we neglect the gift of oxygen to our system.
  • Smile. It’s amazing the energy you can tap into with this simple action.
Whether the winds are for you or against you today, keep going. Living your best life is cooperating with it and keeping perspective. Lift your chin and breathe deep. Smile. Enjoy your run and this grand world.

No comments:

Post a Comment