Monday, September 12, 2016

The Art of Receiving

Last week I had a piano student share with me about how it was her mom’s birthday. She excitedly told me about the new appliance her dad had surprised her mom with. At this point, she had me.

“Was she happy with that gift?” I asked.

The student scratched her head a little as I laughed and we moved on to the next song. Evidently too young to understand the difficult terrain of gift giving that so many husbands learn the hard way. Possibly this wife was thrilled; recognizing the gift of making life around the home a little more convenient. I hope so anyway. 

Our perspective has everything to do with how we respond to what’s given to us. I’ve heard it said that a gracious ‘thank you’ reveals more about the character of the receiver than how amazing the gift or giver is. So often we look at the art of giving as the focal point, when the art of receiving plays just as strong a role in our lives.

Living our best lives is cultivating gratefulness and being able to see how much of what we have truly is a gift. Unearned, undeserved, simple gracelets showered in our lives. How well are we with the art of receiving?

Daily taking the time to give thanks can bring great peace and joy. Here’s my start, how about you do it, too?

I am thankful for…

  • hope
  • laughter
  • church bells ringing
  • hot cup of coffee
  • family
  • amazing grace
  • walking the dog
  • full moon
  • the cross
  • new life
  • hot shower
  • music
  • kayaking
  • talks with friends
May the melody of thanksgiving give you a new song today and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment